Friday, March 6, 2009

Friday Five

1. I am so glad that this week is over because doing research papers with high school students is tiring work. They basically want me to write the entire papers for them. I have a difficult time understanding why they think everyone will do the work for them. I know no teacher ever did my work for me.

2. Off of students and on to books. I read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls last week and it was an incredibly engrossing memoir. As I was reading this book I couldn't believe some of the things she had to endure. It made me think of some of the students I have had over the years. I knew some of my students lived in severe poverty but their parents would not admit to the fact. This book provides an insight for me of how deeply poverty changes children. I also pre-ordered my copy of Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson and I cannot wait until next week. Please hurry. Right now I am finally reading Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs and it is different than The Glass Castle but equally as good.

3. Now on to TV. Dancing with the Stars will start next week and I am so ready. I love the dancing and Max. I danced in high school for the dance team and I like to watch the celebrities progress from the first week. I also like the clothes. Outside of NCIS, Dancing with the Stars is the only other TV show that I try to make sure I am home for every week.

4. Last night my husband and I registered our son for high school classes. It was a weird feeling to be picking his classes out for 9th grade classes. I can still remember taking him for his kindergarten shots and that feels like it was only yesterday. I am so proud of him though. He tries very hard in school and he is a good kid for the most part.

5. Lastly, did I mention that it is Friday? This week has lasted way too long and now that it is almost over I am relieved. The other good thing is that the weather here in Indiana this weekend is suppose to be nice. Yeah. I feel a whole day of outdoor activities coming on for tomorrow. That will take care of my winter blues for sure. Have a great weekend.

No comments: